Friday, February 27, 2009

the new iphone sucks

Okay that's a bit of a hyperbole. The new iPhone is actually amazing in a functional way. The GPS is awe inspiring, and the speaker is much louder. The standard 1/4 inch headphone jack is really a blessing and the gyroscope seems to be much more responsive when I move from landscape to portrait and vise versa. It is the physical design that scorches my geek britches. Okay here it goes...

Just got a new iPhone and it's great but I'm feeling the same sense of design loss I felt when I upgraded my first generation G4 titanium powerbook to the 3rd generation powerbook. It is a much more functional machine but nowhere near as beautiful. The 3G iphone feels like just another phone whereas the first iPhone is a silver slab of design genius. Am I the only one who feels this? It doesn't not feel as important in my hand or my pocket. The unit appears to be wider so where the first gen iphone felt like just a screen and a button, the 3G feels more like a phone. There seems to be a larger border around the screen on the left and right sides, it ruins the illusion of a screen and a button. Damn you apple you are suppose to be cool!


Well all of that said the 3G iPhone is drop dead amazing as a phone. It does not have cut and paste and only stores 200 emails and there are many other things about it that pisses me off but the next iphone with a much faster multi-core processor will go a huge way towards a smooth user experience.

Modern Design Geek signing off...

No comments:

Post a Comment